Brittany Murphy (November 10, 1977 – December 20, 2009) was an American actress and recording artist. She starred in films such as Just Married, Clueless, Girl, Interrupted, 8 Mile, Sin City, The Dead Girl, Uptown Girls, Riding in Cars with Boys and Spun.
Murphy starred in many successful films, including Clueless (1995), Girl, Interrupted (1999), Don't Say a Word (2001), the TV adaption of the novel The Devil's Arithmetic (2001), 8 Mile (2002) and Uptown Girls (2003) as well as many lesser-known films, such as Spun (2003). In 2004, she starred in the romantic comedy Little Black Book, and the critically acclaimed Sin City (2005). She starred in two Edward Burns films: Sidewalks of New York (2002) and The Groomsmen (2006). In 2009, she was cast in the Lifetime TV movie, Tribute, as the main character, Cilla.
Death of Brittany Murphy
On December 20, 2009, Murphy was rushed to the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and pronounced dead. Her family said Brittany Murphy suffered flu-like symptom before death.
Cause of death
February 4, 2010, the Los Angeles County coroner stated that the primary cause of Murphy's death was pneumonia, with secondary factors of iron-deficiency anemia and multiple drug intoxication.
February 25, 2010, the coroner released a report stating that Murphy had been taking a range of over-the-counter and prescription medications, with the most likely reason being to treat a cold or respiratory infection. These included "elevated levels" of hydrocodone, acetaminophen, L-methamphetamine and chlorpheniramine. All of the drugs were legal and the death was ruled to be an accident, but the report observed: "the possible adverse physiological effects of elevated levels of these medications cannot be discounted, especially in her weakened state"
Brittany Murphy on Letterman
- July 26, 2010 - Investigation is underway for possible toxic mold that might have killed both Brittany Murphy & her husband Simon Monjack.
- May 24, 2010 - Brittany Murphy's husband Simon Monjack dies in the same apartment, same room, for same cause of death. Brittany Murphy's mother discovers the body (the same person who found Brittany Murphy's body months earlier)
- February 25, 2010 - Brittany Murphy's death was ruled "Accident"
- February 4, 2010, the Los Angeles County coroner stated that the primary cause of Murphy's death was pneumonia, with secondary factors of iron-deficiency anemia and multiple drug intoxication.
- Dec 23, 2009: Retailers are pulling Brittany's new movie poster "Deadline" - The poster shows Brittany in the bath tub (looked like she's dying).
- Dec 21, 2009: Autopsy is completed, but it may take up to 6 weeks for the result to be released (especially toxicology result). Autopsy found no signs of trauma. The family said she suffered "flu like symptom" before death.
- Dec 21, 2009: Hulu & YouTube pulled 'SNL' Brittany Murphy skit.
- Dec 20, 2009: Autopsy is underway. Her husband originally didn't want autopsy. He claimed autopsy was against his Jewish belief.